Summer Fashion for Women in Their 40s and 50s: Tips and Tricks
Summer is a great time to experiment with your wardrobe and try out new styles. Style over 40 isn’t complicated and you don’t need to overhaul your whole closet. Fashion over 40 can be trying some new pairings or a new bold color to mix things up.
WHERE DO I START?? We suggest figuring out your “uniform” (what it is you feel most comfortable in) and then taking that outfit and adding layers or accessories as a start.
IS IT AGE APPROPRIATE?? If you’re a woman in your 40s or 50s, you may be wondering how to dress in a way that is both age-appropriate and fashionable. But one note on “age appropriateness” – we don’t fully buy into this idea. If you love an item and feel great in it, then you should wear it! There are no “rules” when it comes to fashion and the most stylish women are the ones wearing their clothes with confidence and joy!
What should a 40 year old wear in spring/summer?
If you’re in your 40s, you’re likely looking for outfits that are both stylish and comfortable. Here are some summer fashion ideas for women in their 40s:
- Light and breezy sundresses in bold prints or bright colors
- High-waisted shorts paired with a tucked-in blouse or tank top
- Flowy midi skirts paired with a fitted top
- Linen or cotton trousers paired with a simple t-shirt or tank top
- Comfortable and supportive sandals or sneakers
What should a 50 year old woman wear in the spring/summer?
If you’re in your 50s, you may be looking for outfits that are both elegant and comfortable. Here are some summer fashion ideas for women in their 50s:
- Flowy maxi dresses in soft, feminine colors
- Cropped pants (not capri pants, as those tend to cut off the leg in an odd spot making you appear shorter) paired with a crisp white blouse. Try a pointed flat or mule as this will elongate your silhouette. (cont’d below)
HIGH WAISTED SHORTS | CROPPED JEANS | MAXI DRESS
- Lightweight cardigans or blazers paired with a simple tank top or sundress
- Sleek and comfortable slip-on sandals , loafers or mules.
- Chic sunglasses and statement jewelry to complete your look. Even a layered necklace on top of a white tee will make your outfit look intentional and polished.
How should I dress in my 40s and still look “cool”?
Dressing in your 40s doesn’t have to mean sacrificing style for comfort. Here are some tips for dressing cool and chic in your 40s:
- Invest in high-quality basics like well-fitting jeans, crisp white t-shirts, and classic blazers
- Experiment with bold prints, bright colors, and trendy accessories to add interest to your outfits
- Try mixing and matching different textures and fabrics to create unique and personalized looks. Pairing soft fabrics like silk with a leather handbag adds interest and balance to an outfit. Belts are always a great way to add interest. Even fabric belts on dresses can be a great way to accentuate your waist. STYLE TIP: remember to cut off the tiny belt loops that attach to a dress and style the belt along your natural waistline for a slimming and flattering silhouette.
- Don’t be afraid to play with proportions, like pairing loose-fitting tops with more fitted bottoms or vice versa. Here’s a quick tutorial on the rule of thirds in fashion: an immediate hack you can implement today to look more stylish and balanced.
- Choose shoes that are both comfortable and stylish, like low-heeled sandals, fashion sneakers or platform sandals.
What looks good on a 40 year old woman?
Everyone’s style, body and tastes are unique, and what looks good on you may not look good on someone else and visa versa. One style tip that applies across the board is to keep proportions in mind (here’s a quick video on proportions for you) and ask yourself what parts of your body do you want to highlight and which parts do you want to conceal?
When it comes to summer fashion for women in their 40s, the most important thing is to choose outfits that make you feel confident and comfortable. Here are some timeless summer fashion ideas that are sure to flatter a 40-year-old woman:
- A classic white sundress paired with strappy sandals and simple jewelry. Adding a belt to a dress accentuates your waist and can create a whole entire look with just one piece.
- A blazer and jeans is always a classic look. For warmer weather, choose knit blazers or linen blazers. (cont’d below)
Images in order: Julia Berolzheimer | Frank and Eileen White Dress | Linen Blazer from Evereve
- High-waisted shorts paired with a flowy blouse and wedges
- A longer denim skirt paired with a tucked-in tank top and espadrilles
- Wide-leg linen trousers paired with a lightweight sweater or tank and slip-on sneakers
- A swimsuit with a chic cover-up and oversized sunglasses. We suggest even tailoring things like cover ups, because if they’re too long or billowy, they will cover your shape and may make you appear larger or shorter than you are.
SWIM LOOK ONE | SWIM LOOK TWO | SWIM LOOK THREE
How do you dress “hot” in your 40s?
We believe women over 40 are many times the best versions of themselves and this really comes down to confidence. You’re over caring what other people think and you’ve learned enough about yourself and your style to know how to dress in a way that makes you feel awesome! Dressing hot in your 40s (or any age!) is all about feeling confident and comfortable in your own skin.
Here are some tips for dressing “hot” and stylish in your 40s:
- Choose outfits that flatter your body type and showcase your best features – some tips if you have a larger chest that you don’t want to accentuate, choose v-neck tops that will draw the eye downward. If you have larger hips, try a puff sleeve dress or top that draws the eye upward. If you’re self conscious about a belly, try tying your shirts in a knot BELOW your waistline to create definition without accentuating the “problem area”.
- Experiment with bold prints, bright colors, and statement accessories. This is a time in your life to have fun with your clothes! Don’t be afraid to stand out – you’re beautiful!
- Don’t be afraid to show a little skin, but keep it balanced and appropriate for the occasion. You can try a pair of distressed jeans or an off the shoulder top!
SHOP ALL THESE LOOK HERE
- Invest in high-quality pieces that will last for years like a classic trench and can be mixed and matched to create different looks. We can’t stress this enough. Having a capsule wardrobe of high quality pieces will last you much longer and make you look more polished than buying fast fashion all year long. For our full spring capsule, check out the 21 pieces here.
- Have fun with your outfits and don’t be afraid to try new styles or trends! There’s no trend that is off limits, oh wait, maybe except low rise jeans – we can’t get on board with that one – but if you feel confident and radiant in them – well, we’ll have to cheer you on anyway! 😉
Still Struggling to Find Your Style?
We’re here to help. We work with women all over the United States whether it’s an in person personal shopping session, a closet edit or you need an online stylist. We have a fabulous online stylist program where we can upload what’s currently in your closet and then style what you already own in combination with finding you some fresh new pieces to incorporate!
Interested in one of these services, start with this form and we can’t wait to meet you!